Frequently Asked Questions



Who can buy cannabis products at Portland Best Buds? 

Recreational marijuana may be purchased by anyone ages 21 and over with a state or government-issued identification that contains your picture, date of birth and expiration date of the identification. For medical patients,  you must have a valid OMMP card and state or government-issued identification that contains your picture, date of birth and expiration date of the identification.
What form of identification is required for purchase?
In addition to your valid OMMP card, Oregon law allows only drivers’ licenses, identification cards, and passports (not passport cards), and US military identification cards.
What form of payment is accepted?
Currently only cash is accepted at Portland Best Buds. We also provide an ATM machine on location.



What does it mean to “consume responsibly”?                                                                                                                              Choose a private setting and be sure you are well hydrated, well rested and well nourished. Plan your experience, gauging the time from ingestion to onset of effect to dissipation, understanding that edibles take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours for onset of effects, whereas smoking and vaping require only 5 to 10 minutes. Assess your balance and coordination. Do not drive vehicles, operate equipment or engage in activities that may endanger yourself or others. Mixing alcohol and other drugs with cannabis is dangerous and compounds its effects.

What does it mean to “possess responsibly”?
Keep cannabis products away from minors and in a secure and safe place at all times. Never possess more than the legal limit of cannabis. Dispose of unused product responsibly before leaving the state.
How do I know how much to take?
It is important to note that people react differently to cannabis products depending on numerous factors, including their overall health, constitution, age and mental state. It is always advisable to start with the smallest recommended serving and wait the appropriate amount of time to gauge effects.
What should I do if I don’t like my experience?
If for any reason your experience is unpleasant, take note of the amount and variety ingested and describe your sensations in detail. (This will help you make a better selection next time.) Stay well hydrated and try to relax. Should you experience severe discomfort or anything that might be considered a medical emergency, seek professional medical attention immediately or call 911. Please remember that it is never a good idea to exceed the recommended serving.




Can I consume cannabis products in public?

No. It is against Oregon law to consume cannabis in any public place (i.e. bars, restaurants, sidewalks, parks, hallways, public transportation, etc.). It is against federal law to consume on federal land or facilities on federal land (national parks, ski areas, ski lifts, etc.).
What does Measure 91 do?
Measure 91 allows Oregonians to grow limited amounts of marijuana on their property and to possess personal limited amounts of recreational marijuana for personal use beginning July 1, 2015 under Oregon law. The measure also gives OLCC authority to tax, license and regulate recreational marijuana grown, sold, or processed for commercial purposes.
What impact does Measure 91 have on the current Medical Marijuana Program?
None. Measure 91 states that the “Act may not be construed … to amend or affect in any way the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act.”
What is the difference between recreational marijuana and medical marijuana?
Medical marijuana is for patients with qualifying medical conditions. Recreational marijuana, whether grown at a residence or obtained from a licensed retail outlet, is for personal use for adults 21 years of age or older. For more information on medical marijuana see
How much marijuana can I have?
Beginning July 1, 2015, recreational marijuana users can possess up to eight ounces of useable marijuana and four plants per residence in Oregon.  An individual can carry up to one ounce in public, but smoking using marijuana in public is prohibited.
What is meant by “useable” marijuana?
Useable marijuana refers to dried marijuana flowers or leaves. In other words, marijuana that is ready to smoke.
Can I grow marijuana at home and when?
Yes, with limits. The act allows home grow of up to four plants per residence beginning July 1, 2015, regardless of how many people live in the residence. Four adults in one residence does not mean 16 plants. The limit is four per residence.
Can a landlord tell tenants not to grow recreational marijuana or smoke it rental units?
Measure 91 does not affect existing landlord/tenant laws.
What if an employer requires drug testing?
Measure 91 does not affect existing employment law. Employers who require drug testing can continue to do so.
Can I smoke marijuana in a bar/restaurant?
No. Marijuana cannot be smoked or used in a public place.
What is the definition of a public place?
Measure 91 defines a public place as “a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies, and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation.”
Who can smoke recreational marijuana? What is the minimum age?
As of July 1, 2015, anyone 21 years of age and old and consume recreational marijuana in Oregon. Marijuana use or possession of recreational marijuana by anyone under 21 years of age is illegal. That includes home consumption.
Who will enforce recreational marijuana laws?
Enforcement of the home grow/personal possession provisions of Measure 91 will be at the discretion of local jurisdictions, the state police and possibly other law enforcement agencies. The OLCC is responsible for enforcement actions against businesses that the OLCC licenses to grow, process, wholesale and sell recreational marijuana and related products.
Can Oregon recreational marijuana be taken to the state of Washington where it is also legal?
No. Taking marijuana across state lines is a federal offense.
Can I get a DUII while under the influence of marijuana?
Yes. Current laws for DUII have not changed.  Driving under the influence of intoxicants (DUII) refers to operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated or drugged, including impairment from the use of marijuana. In addition, Measure 91 requires OLCC to examine, research and present a report to the Legislature on driving under the influence of marijuana. The OLCC will do this in conjunction with the Department of Justice Criminal Investigation Division and Oregon State Police.
Can I lose my job for using marijuana?
Passage of measure 91 does not change existing employment law in Oregon.
Who collects the tax on recreational marijuana?
Under the provisions of Measure 91, the OLCC is required to collect the tax on recreational marijuana at the grower level.
How is Washington state’s recreational marijuana law different than Oregon’s?

Have a question? Ask Portland Best Buds

Question related to Cannabis and the Law? Contact the experts at Emerge Law Group.